POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Smoke Trail (60kbbu) : Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:33:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu)
From: A B
Date: 27 Feb 2001 06:29:15
Message: <3A9B8F8A.368EA80C@nirvana.net>
Hi,

> > Since the temperature feature does not apply to all uses of the
> > system, can it be turned off?
>
> It only applies to atmospheric particles.

Sorry, but i think this is not quite right. Also in liquids convection
occures. If you put some color small particles into an liquid you can
see it, i.e. Put some cold milk into hot coffee, but be very carefully:
You will see that the white milk will be at first at the bottom of the
cup, than the white milk particles will rise in the center of the cup.
If yo wait long enough and keep the coffee at the same temperature the
milk will completely mix with the coffee (same as the smoke).

However one problem is there with water as liquid, as water has highest
density at 4 degrees Celsius (sorry I don't know the degrees of
Farenheit): That is also colder water will rise! (The cause why you find
in winter unfrozen water at the bottom of lakes, and the water will
freese from the top of the lakes. Additional to the fact that ice is
lighter water, the freezing process really begins the water surface)

Yours

Axel